Friday, March 18, 2011

Sliders with Chipotle Mayonnaise

We're a little later with this week's burger, but we still made it happen.

Today I did sliders with chipotle mayonnaise from Bobby Flay. That's right, back to beef.

So the first thing you'll notice on Bobby's recipe is that there's not a lot of ingredients.  Perfect for folks on a budget.  We in fact had most of the ingredients in the house. Going into the recipe, the only thing I was really concerned about was the 80/20 ground chuck.  We had some frozen extra lean ground beef, which I don't imagine is anywhere near 20% fat.  But we'll see how that worked out.



The Process

Like I said above, there wasn't much to this one. For the patties, I used a pound of ground beef and a few healthy pinches each of salt and pepper.  I could have used 1.5 lbs of beef, but opted to go with just 1 lb.  I kind of wish I hadn't.  1 lb made 5 patties of 2.5 ounces and one of 1.5 (... hmm. as I write this, I'm realizing something's not right there.  Must have weighed out the wrong amount when freezing.  Oh well.)

Anyway, the first thing I did was put together the mayo.


We've had the chipotles in adobo sauce for awhile and have wanted to try it out.  It is crazy spicy.

Next, I weighed out the meat and formed patties:


After I got them together, I stuck them in the fridge and sliced up the cheese, pickles, and onion.  Then I got the meat back out and covered the patties in evoo.  I put the grill pan on medium-high heat and gently placed them down.  


You might notice the dimples in the patties. I did that because of this article I read the other day, also courtesy of Bobby Flay.

I cooked them 4 minutes per side and added the cheese with 2 minutes to go on the second side.

And here's the final result:

 
I didn't get a good shot of the scale here, but the sliders are on standard dinner roles we got from Sobey's.


The Verdict

Ok these things were amazing. I was really worried that the extra-lean beef would be dry.  But it was insanely juicy.  I had wanted to try making true all-beef burger (ie. no fillers) for some time and I now wish I'd done it earlier. 

The other crazy good part of these sliders was the mayo.  It is spicy, but so good.  Kim used it as a dip for her fries, but it was a bit spicy for me to use straight up like that.  

My only caution would be that the recipe makes way more mayo than what you'd use on the sliders.  We're going to share the leftovers with Kim's folks.

Final Verdict

Kim
5 sesame seeds out of 5

Jon
5 sesame seeds out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment